In this section we’ll look at the types of integrations you can build with the SmartThings platform, and how to select the best one for your development goals. Choosing the appropriate type of integration to build is the first step in the development process.
Device integrations provide a method for quickly connecting your hardware products to the SmartThings platform.
There are four types of devices, or physical products, that connect to SmartThings:
- Hub Connected - Including Matter, Zigbee, Z-Wave, LAN, and some Bluetooth products.
- Cloud Connected - Devices that communicate with the SmartThings platform through your existing cloud.
- Direct Connected - Devices that connect directly to the SmartThings Cloud via WiFi, including Samsung Appliances and products using protocols such as OCF and MQTT.
- Mobile Connected - Devices that communicate with the SmartThings platform via a mobile device. This typically includes Bluetooth products that connect via your mobile device, such as wearables and headphones.
A device integration enables you to connect hardware to the SmartThings platform without the need for a standalone app or a custom experience that integrates with SmartThings. If you’re looking to quickly bring your hardware to the SmartThings platform, a Device integration is the recommended approach.
For an in-depth look at the Device development process, see Device Basics.
Automations allow you to create powerful routines, incorporating Devices and Connected Services already on the SmartThings platform. There are two types of Automations on the SmartThings platform:
- Rules enable you to automate the Devices and services that connect to the SmartThings platform.
- Scenes enable you to simultaneously set a group of devices to a particular state.
Connected Services join a user’s smart home to the broader world through Clients, SmartApps, and OAuth integrations.
- Clients are mobile, web, or desktop applications that display and control SmartThings data. Clients are often developed to display a user’s smart home in a unique way and customize the way a user interacts with or views their devices.
- SmartApps provide you with a method of building custom experiences (including unique device automations and UI customization) and making those experiences available from within SmartThings clients, including the official SmartThings app.
- Other OAuth Integrations allow you to create new experiences for users by implementing a standard OAuth 2.0 web flow, which is then authorized to leverage the SmartThings APIs.
Check out the Connected Services section of our documentation for more information.
Now that you know the development process, sign up for a Samsung account and register as a SmartThings Developer to start building!