Testing your device involves three main steps:
- Enabling developer mode in the SmartThings app
- Deploying your device to test
- Testing your device
Enable Developer Mode in the SmartThings App
You must enable developer mode before you can test using the SmartThings app.
- Launch the SmartThings app.
- Tap the Menu tab on the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap the Settings gear icon. The SmartThings settings menu will appear.
- Long-press About SmartThings for 5 seconds. A developer mode toggle will appear in the settings menu.
- Enable Developer Mode.
- Restart the SmartThings app.
Deploy To Test and Download Onboarding Profile
In order to install your device with the SmartThings app, you will need to deploy to test from the Developer Workspace.
In the Developer Workspace Overview section, click Deploy to Test. After creating your device and deploying to test in the Developer Workspace, the device information is sent to the SmartThings Cloud.
After deploying to test, you will be prompted to download an onboarding profile and inject it into your test device. This profile is automatically generated once requirements for deploying to test have been met and deployment is complete.
Deploying your device to test does not mean your device is published. When you deploy your device to test, only the Samsung developer account used to deploy to test will be able to install the device from the SmartThings app, and only after enabling developer mode in the SmartThings app.
Register Your Test Device
Test devices must be known to SmartThings before they can successfully connect to the cloud. Register devices by providing the device serial number and public key under Test > Test Devices in your project on the Developer Workspace.
Your device will now appear in the SmartThings app when signed in to the app with your Samsung developer account, allowing you to install your device from the SmartThings app.
We recommend that a display name of your Connector be a combination of your company's brand name and the product's specific name such as its website or app name. For example, "Samsung SmartHome", "Samsung SmartCam".
Test Your Device With the SmartThings App
To test your devices with the SmartThings app:
- Launch the SmartThings app. Your SmartThings app and Developer Workspace must be signed into the same account.
- Ensure developer mode is enabled in the SmartThings app.
- Tap Add device on the Dashboard or devices tab of the SmartThings app.
- Tap My Testing Devices. You can now see and add your self-published devices.
If you have your company's Manufacture ID (MNID), you can see and add your self-published devices and also all self-published devices your company's developers have created.
- Confirm the connection by selecting ALLOW on your device.
To publish a Work with SmartThings certified device, you must download and complete a self-assessment checklist in the Developer Workspace when requesting to publish the device.